Function: Department for Gender
The Department of Gender is responsible for women and adolescent girls’ issues, policies and programs. The Department comprises of several offices to contribute meaningfully to the workings of the Department. The Department of Gender comprises of the below structures:
Office of the Deputy Minister for Gender: The Deputy Minister provides direct supervision and guidance of the Department; thereby serving as the head of the Department of Gender. The Office of the Deputy Minister for Gender is supported directly by the Technical Assistant, with support from other staff members to include Administrative Assistant, Filing Clerk and Office Assistant.
- The Deputy Minister for Gender, under the direction of the Minister, has the responsibility for ensuring the mainstreaming of gender issues, policies and programs, particularly as they relate to women and children, in all public institutions. The Deputy Minister for Gender performs the following duties:
- Manages the Ministry’s gender function and activities;
- Advises the Minister on gender and adolescent girls’ issues;
- Designs, develops and implements frameworks for mainstreaming women and adolescent girls in the work of ministries, agencies, commissions and all other public institutions;
- Designs, develops and implements frameworks that ensure compliance with human rights issues and instruments relating to women and adolescent girls;
- Provides leadership in the review of laws and legislation to ensure their conformity to international agreements relative to women and adolescent girls;
- Participates in the formulation of policies, regulations, and guidelines on the management of gender-based violence;
- Coordinates the preparation of reports required by national and international bodies and treaties on gender issues, including the state of women and adolescent girls report;
- Leads advocacy on women and adolescent girls’ issues by developing and implementing a framework for the promotion of women’s and adolescent girls’ rights, including the empowerment of women, and the protection and development of children; and
- Prepares and implements national information, education and communication (IEC) programs on women and adolescent girls.